The Ashinaga Africa Initiative (AAI) is an international leadership program that cultivates the next generation of leaders to contribute to the development of sub-Saharan Africa. The AAI provides access to full financial support to study at university abroad (equivalent to an undergraduate degree), including tuition, room, travel costs and other necessary fees.
- University or Organization: Ashinaga
- Department: N/A
- Course Level: Leadership Program
- Award: Fully-Funded
- Access Mode: Online
- Number of Awards: Not Known
- Nationality: Sub-Saharan African Students
- The award can be taken in Japan
- Eligible Countries: Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, CAR, Cameroon, Chad, Comoros, Côte d’Ivoire, Djibouti, DRC, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Gabon, Ghana, Guinea Conakry, Kenya, Kingdom of eSwatini, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Republic of Congo, Rwanda, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Seychelles, Sudan, Tanzania, The Gambia, Togo, Uganda, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.
- Acceptable Course or Subjects: Leadership Programme
- Admissible Criteria: To be eligible, applicants must have to meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Have lost one or both parents.
- Have completed secondary school and passed national secondary school examination (technical and vocational qualifications not accepted) within the last two years (any date after 1st September 2018, including all of 2019 and 2020) or will have completed secondary school and received final exam results before February 28th, 2021.
- Have citizenship and have completed/are completing high school in one of the above countries
- Were born after 1st September 1998.
- Do not have the means to attend university abroad without external financial support.
- Are regularly ranked in the top 10% of their class during their last 2 or 3 years of secondary school. Students without strong grades are unlikely to be successful.
- Are able to participate in the two Ashinaga preparatory programs, over the course of one year, before attending university.
- Are committed to return home, or to Sub Saharan Africa, and contribute to society in sub-Saharan Africa after graduating from university.
- Have no dependents who could interfere with academic progress.
- Have a good enough health condition to be able to study abroad.
How to Apply
- How to Apply: In order to apply for the programme, all applicants must first confirm their eligibility by registering for the program. Only students who register for the program and are deemed eligible (based on criteria/eligibility on the previous page) will receive the application form. If you are invited to complete the application you can submit the application online or by email.
- Supporting Documents: Must submit 1. Copy of all term reports / high school transcripts from the last 2 years. 2. Copy of final secondary school examination certificate (if you did not submit it with your registration form) 3. Copy of academic transcripts/diplomas from university / post-secondary institution, (if applicable). 4. Copy of death certificate of deceased parent(s), including the deceased parent’s name, or alternative official documentation proving death of a parent(s) or orphan status. 5. Copy of birth certificate of the applicant. 6. Copies of certificates for extracurricular activities, training courses, jobs or commitments (if applicable). 7. A letter of recommendation from a principal or school teacher. This should be inclusive of their email address, phone number and must contain information about your performance and character whilst at secondary school. All recommendation letters should contain an official signature or stamp.
- Admission Requirements: Candidates are required to hold their previous Certificates of Degree.
- Language Requirement: If your education has not been conducted in the English language, you will be expected to demonstrate evidence of an adequate level of English proficiency.
The Ashinaga Africa Initiative will provide access to full financial support to study at university abroad (equivalent to an undergraduate degree), including tuition, room, travel costs, and other necessary fees.
Application Deadline: February 19, 2021.